Thursday, June 14, 2007

Natural Weed Killers

I've been receiving a lot of email questions about natural weed killers. The best solution I have found, and one we used at New York State Parks, is to spray white vinegar on the weeds. Just use the white vinegar you buy at the supermarket. I used this last week on grass growing in between the bricks in my walkway and it worked just fine. The sprayed weeds were dead in one day. By the way, I've found that most of the prepared natural weed killers are based on white vinegar with clove or some other fragrance added. Not a bad idea if you don't like the smell of vinegar.
For poison ivy, make a solution of one gallon white vinegar, one pound of table salt and three tablespoons of liquid dish soap. Spray this on the leaves of poison ivy. It may take repeated applications to kill this devil, but many of my WAMC listeners say it works for them.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Will vinegar harm any of my plants??

Larry Sombke said...

White vinegar will kill all the plants it touches. Please use it very carefully.

Anonymous said...

Nice fill someone in on and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you seeking your information.